Monday, May 9, 2016

Fitness


To continue my series of posts on health changes I’m making in 2016, I wanted to talk some about fitness and exercise!

Since I was a child, I have been encouraged to live an active lifestyle. As a kid, I joined my siblings in countless hours of outdoor play which involved cycling, running, playing on the jungle-gym, tree-climbing, and more! I also was involved in swim and dance up until middle-school. In high school, running became my primary form of exercise and something I enjoyed doing.

When we moved to Oklahoma, I really slacked off on the amount of exercise I did. My work schedule disrupted my normal running schedule. But one of my favorite quotes that focuses on what type of exercise is best, goes something like “the best exercise is the type you’re consistent about.” There are so many variations of exercise; just because you’re not a fan of running or weight-lifting doesn’t mean you’re out of luck when it comes to staying physically active!

In 2016, I am striving to do 3 cardio-focused workout sessions per week and 2-3 workouts focused on muscle toning and strengthening. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I get up early and go for a short run (2-3 miles.) I’ve had trouble getting up the massive hill we live on, but I know brisk-walking is beneficial as well. On Tuesdays and Thursdays (and sometimes Saturdays) I will do a 20-30 minute workout video. I’ve turned to Youtube quite a bit because there is so much variety! Some of my current favorites are Christine Salus HIIT videos and BUTI yoga videos. However, I would recommend these workouts only to ladies! The outfits worn by the women leading these exercises aren’t the most modest. :-S I also usually like to do these workouts in my room where I have a little more privacy.

On Saturdays, I usually go on an afternoon run. I have attempted biking around here a few times for variety, but the hills tend to be very challenging. I would love to find a place where I can swim and do another triathlon with some of my siblings and friends.


I highly recommend trying a new form of exercise! Variety is a great way to develop consistency. If you find something that is fun, enjoyable, and challenging, you’re more likely to stick with it!

2 comments:

Kimber Scotland said...

I'm doing a very similar exercise schedule. I've found exercising in the morning helps make sure I get it done. :)
I run three days a week between 2-6 miles and the other day is a workout video or weights at the gym. :)
Exercise helps you feel so much better. This beautiful weather makes it hard to not want to be out exercising all the time!
Kimber

Bianca said...

Thanks for your comment, Kimber! Yes, mornings tend to be better for me too. Sounds like you have a good routine going! And yes, this weather makes the workouts feel even better! :-D

~Bianca