But sometimes God throws curveballs into
our lives. In January of this past year, I was asked to babysit the kids during
my parents Life Group meeting (a weekly adult Bible Study our church does instead
of Sunday Schools.) I got to know quite a few of the families at our church,
and started to get asked to babysit for them more often.
I really connected with one of the kids I
watched. He was 2-years-old at the time, I fell in love with his sweet baby
voice and blonde curls. J
Life Group ended in June, and we had our end-of-the-year party. His Mom
approached me and asked if I would mind babysitting him and his 9-month-old
brother so that her and her husband could go on a date night.
I did watch the boys for her a couple
times, and then she asked if I would be interested in watching them 2 days a
week (about 12 hours total) while she worked out, went to appointments, grocery
shopped, and worked with her husband (they have their own dental practice.) I took
some time to think about it, since I had never worked for someone else outside
the home. But because I knew the family, they were Christians, the hours were
reasonable, watching children is good preparation for motherhood, it was summer
time, and I was free, I agreed to it.
Partway through the summer, another woman
she works out with asked if I would watch her 3-year-old girl along with the 2
boys. I happily agreed, and watched all 3 kids over the summer.
I had intended to quit in the fall because
I was starting my internship at church (more on that another time) and I wasn’t
sure how much of my time that would demand. But the Pastor I was interning for
talked with me, and told me that I didn’t need to quit nannying if I didn’t
want to. After some consideration, and talking with my boss, I decided to
continue nannying. Because the oldest boy is in preschool, I’m now only
watching the 1-year-old for about 4 hours a week.
So that’s how I got started as a nanny! I
have really enjoyed the experience, and know that it is helping me prepare for
my future as a wife and Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment