One item on my 5-Year-Plan was to be
mentored by someone. I have had many mentors over the years; some for a season,
others throughout my whole life. They have all mentored me in slightly
different ways, and I am so grateful for each of them and the way they’ve
impacted my life.
My Mom and I have done studies together
quite often over the years. We have gone through books together, mostly on the
topics of womanhood, femininity, and courtship. Lately, we have been going
through and discussing the book of Proverbs together.
Back in November, I started meeting every
other week with a lady at our church. I got to know her initially because I
babysat her 3 and 5-year-old kids! I actually call her my “frien-ter” because
she straddles the line between friend and mentor really well! J We do a lot of fun stuff together
and have similar personalities. But she is also a great listener, and gives
advice after she listens.
Another thing my mentor started with me was
a Precepts study on Genesis. I had never done a Precepts study, nor was I
familiar with the Inductive study method. I have really enjoyed it! Not only
does the system of color coding and marking appeal to my slightly-OCD
personality J but I
also love digging deeper into God’s word. I got an Inductive study Bible for
Christmas, and I am so excited to use it!
I would highly recommend that everyone be
mentored by someone. Seek out a mentor that you believe you can learn something
valuable from. Maybe your mentor works in your field of interest. Maybe they
are involved in a ministry you want to be a part of. Above all, I would most
recommend seeking out a wise, Christian mentor who can spur you on in your walk
with God. It can be one of the most rewarding relationships you have!
No comments:
Post a Comment