In conjunction with my month-long
internship in Guatemala, I have been working on a Community Service-Learning
course through College Plus! This course has taught me a lot about learning
through serving with a focus on bettering communities.
I learned so much during my time in Guatemala
City! I served with a church-planting and discipleship-focused ministry called
Fellowship Guatemala. My role as an intern was primarily to observe, learn, and
to play a supporting role to the missionaries and the short-term mission teams
that came through. My job came to include a little bit of everything such as:
·
Washing a few hundred dishes every
day
·
Helping cook breakfast, lunch, and
dinner for over one hundred people
·
Babysitting Guatemalan children
while their parents attended a discipleship conference
·
Helping run VBS
·
Attending discipleship training
sessions
·
Converting money for the mission
teams
·
Going door-to-door doing evangelism
with mission teams
·
Helping grocery shop before the
mission teams arrived
·
Cleaning the mission house after the
teams left
·
And lots more!
Babysitting
during the discipleship conference.
Photo Credit:
Jessie Bullard.
|
I don’t want to forget my time in
Guatemala, nor let any of the lessons that were learned be forgotten. So I will
be doing several posts here to chronicle what I experienced there. I want this post
to be focused on personal development.
Going
door-to-door with a member of the Guatemalan church we worked with.
Photo Credit:
PatriciaFaith Williams
|
This trip revealed a lot to me about
myself! By getting a small taste of what missionary life is like every day, I
better understand certain things I will need to make a priority when I enter
the field. One of these things is time to rest and process. I tend to be more
of a go-go-go person, but the stresses of the field will quickly overwhelm me if
I don’t carve out time to rest during the day. As a missionary, it can be easy
to keep saying “yes” but burnout is inevitable if you do that.
I grew spiritually on this trip primarily
by observing the prayer warriors in Guatemala City. There are Christians who
fervently pray for their city every single day. They put my prayer life to
shame. I was inspired to strive for a more intimate relationship with God and
to pray for my neighbors.
I learned a lot about the rewards of
helping others. There were many times when we interns served without thanks.
Like the week we babysat 8-10 kids ages 8 and under for 5 hours with no toys,
playgrounds, or food for them. We didn’t even get to meet their parents. But it
brought us so much joy to love on them! There is a reward that comes in knowing
that only a few people know the good thing you did. If Christ knows, that is
enough for me.
The internship experience has helped me
solidify my degree choice. I was torn between a B.A. in International Studies
and a B.S. in Early Childhood Education. I discovered on this trip that I love
children and want to work with them, but I do not want to teach. I am more
interested in being an advocate for children. So that was another benefit of
this trip!
I also learned that I am happy being in the
middle. I can serve up front, or I can serve in the background. I am pretty
content and effective either way! J
To
be continued . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment