Sunday, January 31, 2016

Dealing with Conflict


Since I last posted in November, I have been pretty busy with school, work, traveling to visit family for Christmas, and spending some time with Jessie during his break from school. :-) We celebrated 18 months together earlier in January. It's crazy how time passes by so quickly!

Lately I've been thinking about the subject of conflict in relationships. Any close relationship is bound to have conflict at some time or another. While Jessie and I get along very well the majority of the time, we still have times when we argue and get upset with each other. It's a dream of mine to write a book someday on the subject of healthy romantic relationships. I look around me and see so many couples who are hurting, broken, and confused about what a "real" relationship looks like. Jessie and I are learning so much, and we are so grateful for our parents and other mentors who share their wisdom with us, but more importantly, lead us by their examples.

There are a few things we've learned in the past few months about dealing with conflicts that can be applied to really any relationship (not just romantic ones.) I thought it'd be good for me to write those things out, and share them here as well. :-)

1.) Pray. This is hard to do in the heat of the moment. It can be easy to want to wallow in anger. Praying for God to soften your hearts as you deal with conflict is really important. It's even better if you can do this together. It's hard to remain angry at someone you pray for.

2.) Don't fight via social media. It is so easy to text your way into a heated argument. Tone can be misunderstood very easily. It is far better to talk face-to-face with someone you are in a conflict in. Seeing emotional responses does a lot towards softening hearts rather than when you are protected by the anonymity of a screen. Jessie and I have discovered that even a phone call is not the best option for us when we're dealing with a conflict long-distance. A video call is the closest thing we have to face-to-face discussion, and it's hard to stay angry for long when you see the hurt on someone else's face.

3.) Communicate clearly. One of the traps I fall into constantly is expecting that certain things should just be assumed or understood. While that is true in some cases, I have to remember that Jessie (or anyone else) is not a mind reader. If I don't clearly express my expectations or desires, it shouldn't surprise me if they're not met. 

4.) Remember that you're fighting for resolution, not to win an argument. This is a big one. The goal of conflict resolution should be to understand where the other person is coming from, understand the root cause, explain what hurt you and why, and then resolve the issue. If we are set on being right all the time, we will lose many valuable relationships.

5.) Be humble and quick to forgive. In most instances, blame for a conflict lies on both people. Learn to accept your share of the blame, apologize for hurting the other person, forgive them for their part, and then agree to move on and discuss it no longer. The simple mantra of "forgive and forget" is easy to say, but definitely takes effort to do.

So there you have it! These are some of the lessons I've been learning lately. :-) Hopefully I'll be back soon to post more about what's going on in my life lately!

6 comments:

Kimber Scotland said...

Thanks so much for putting yourself out there and writing this. I think too many people have a romance novel view of relationships and that gives them false ideas about how relationships really work.
Thanks for sharing!
Kimber

Bianca said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, Kimber! :-) I definitely think it's easy to develop misconceptions about relationships, even in the "courtship realm." We give up on relationships too easily when conflicts arise, and unfortunately it's evidenced by the frequent dating and divorce culture we are living in.

Thanks again for commenting! It's good to know that some people still read this blog. ;-P

~Bianca

Julianne said...

I think true honesty is one of the biggest components necessary for successful long distance relationships. It is so easy to hide what you might be feeling or misinterpret what another might be trying to convey when your only contact is via something more impersonal (i.e. a phone call or text). I love that you guys strive to talk over video chat! So much better! I know that made a big difference for my husband and I while we were long-distance....and I ultimately think we became much better communicators because of the distance! It really forced us to get in the habit from early on of being honest and direct with eachother!

Bianca said...

Thank you for your comment, Julianne! What you said is so true. There are times when it's just not possible to communicate face-to-face, but we try to do it as often as we can. It is encouraging to hear how that factor of a long-distance relationship helped you and your husband! :-D

Thanks again for your comment and your words of encouragement! I hope your family is doing well and adjusting to being a family of three instead of just two!

~Bianca

Debbie said...

Hi Bianca,
I enjoy "trolling" your blog to see what you have been up to :-) I like this post in particular because it shows how you are maturing as a young woman. The Lord has guided you and blessed you with wisdom that not many young people possess these days. I am going to share this post with both Lindsey and Morgan.
Love you!
Aunt Debbie

Bianca said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the blog post, Aunt Debbie! ;-D Thank you for your kind words! <3 Please give my love to Lindsey and Morgan!

~Bianca