So I’ve sat on a secret for about a year
now. ;) Prayers about a courtship have been going up since last July. I should
probably start the story at the beginning though.
In December 2012, my family moved to Texas.
For six months, I knew there was a guy in our youth group named Jessie, but
that’s all I knew about him.
In June of 2013, Ben and I went to help our
youth pastor set up a slip-and-slide
for our gathering the next night. Jessie and his brother were also there. After
our work to set up the slide, Pastor D took us all out to Chick-fil-A. Jessie
introduced me to Chick-fil-A sauce, and that’s about all we said to each other.
:-P Then another night, our family went over to his family’s house for a
dinner they hosted for the worship team members at church. We still didn’t
talk then which felt a little awkward. :-P
Then in July, his family went on the missions
trip to Guatemala that Ben and I also went on. That was when my friendship
with their family started. Miss D (Jessie’s Mom) was kind of my “adopted mom”
on the trip. I already knew Mr. J (Jessie’s Dad) because we were on worship
team together.
On that trip, I got to know Jessie and his
brother, along with the other teens on the team. After that trip, a bunch of us
started hanging out together and doing movie
nights periodically. Jessie and his brother *always* came to those!
We continued to be friends and hang out
fairly often. In April 2014, we both decided to intern in Guatemala that
summer. I felt a little weird at first going with a young guy, but as I got to
know him better while we prepared for the trip, my parents and I both felt much
more comfortable with him going versus me going alone.
About that time, I went as a leader with
the high school students from church on a weekend
youth retreat (I am 13 months older than Jessie.) I think it was then that
I realized that I had developed feelings for him. Our friendship had been so
encouraging, edifying, and never awkward. I knew he was going away to college
in the fall, and figured that’d be the end of our friendship. So I tried to
proceed as normal.
Then in July, we left for our
internship. A couple of days into the trip, people started teasing us about
liking each other. I felt bad and slightly embarrassed because I didn’t believe
he had feelings for me, and figured that the teasing was awkward for him. But
one night in the middle of our trip, Pastor D asked us “do you like each other?”
And he wouldn’t let us off the hook without answering.
Honestly, those few seconds were some of
the scariest and most awkward of my life! I waited to see what Jessie would say
before I answered. He said he did like me, and I said I liked him as well. It
was such a relief to know the feelings were actually reciprocated! We proceeded
to talk for two hours that evening of the “what now?” questions. We both valued
a serious, courtship-type relationship. I was concerned about him leaving for
college, knowing how much people change during that stage of life.
So we agreed to pray about our relationship
through his first year of school and to continue to build a friendship. I was
honestly a bit skeptical about whether or not our relationship would last.
Jessie was confident that his feelings would not change in a year.
He was right! He has communicated with me
every single day since he left for school in August. He initiated a once-a-week
Skype call tradition. Those calls stretched to 2.5 hours some weeks! :-O We saw
each other in person every 4-5 weeks when he would come home for the weekend. I
went with his family to visit him at school once and then I went with my Mom
during the second semester.
In June, he talked to my Daddy and then asked
permission to court me. :-) He came over to my house bearing a bouquet of
Snapdragons he had picked from home. Then we went down to the pecan grove for
one of our favorite past times: hammocking. And that’s when he asked! It was a
very sweet moment, because he said “I love you” for the first time (we had
agreed not to say it for the year we waited and prayed.) He had planned out the
evening with some of our other favorite activities including an evening walk,
ice cream and “Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.”, and star gazing.
Now that we’re in a courtship, we have
begun to talk about issues more specific to a future marriage between us. We
know that we are the *type* of people we would like to marry; now we’re trying
to figure out if we’re *specifically* meant to marry each other.
The more I get to know him, the more amazed
I am at God’s goodness. In many ways, Jessie is more than I dreamed of in a
young man. I am so excited to see where the Lord takes our relationship!
12 comments:
So exciting!
It definitely is for me, Amy! ;-D
~Bianca
Oh, so exciting Bianca! God is so good, isn't He? My husband is 16 months younger than me but he's the perfect and only one :)! Don't be afraid to ask the hard questions and I look forward to hearing how it goes in the near future! God bless!
Hannah Wagner :) (Wassenberg)
Bianca, I can not express my thankfulness that you shared your story. Zoe, Garrett, John, and I discuss "courting" regularly. The importance of protecting your heart for the person God made just for you and showing patience for the process.
John & I have prayed for God to send our children godly friendships. Your sweet family is an answer to that prayer.
We will be praying for you and Jessie!
Proverbs 4:23
Keep your heart with vigilance, for from it flow the springs of life.
God Bless You,
Stacey Polk
I forgot that Dylan was younger than you, Hannah! We definitely aren't shying away from the hard questions. I was going to email you about that, but discovered I don't actually have an address for you. :-S Maybe you could leave it in a comment for me, but I won't publish it?
It was great to hear from you! Thanks so much for your encouraging comment! :)
~Bianca
Thank you so much for your comment, Mrs. Polk! I am so blessed to hear that my story was an encouragement to you and your family! :) Thank you so much for your prayers. I wish we had gotten to know y'all sooner!
~Bianca
Bianca!!!!!!!!! I have never even met you in person but, through keeping up with you and your family via our blogs and Christmas letters, I'm SO, SO excited for you two!
I will keep you two in my prayers as you search out God's will for both of your lives!
Ahh!! Yay!! So excited for you!!!!
Kimber :)
It was so nice to hear from you, Kimber! I feel like I've met you too, even though we actually haven't. :) Hopefully someday in the future though! Thank you so much for your sweet words of encouragement! We really appreciate your prayers as well. :)
~Bianca
Aw, I'm so happy for you Bianca! :D Relationships built and guided by the Lord are the best things around! :) I'll be sure to pray for you and Jessie!
Congrats to you both!
Alexis
Ps- Be sure to keep us updated! ;D
Thank you so much for your comment, Alexis! I wholeheartedly agree with you. :) We really appreciate your prayers! And I will certainly keep you updated. ;) I have another blog post to publish later today!
~Bianca
Oh Bianca, this is wonderful news. You and Jessie make a handsome couple. It is such a blessing to find a young man who shares your faith, values, and that is a true friend. I look forward to meeting him some day:)
Love ,
Aunt Debbie
Thank you so much for your comment, Aunt Debbie! :-) And for your compliment. ;-) We used to joke about looking like siblings! :-P Yes, it is a tremendous blessing and one that I will never take for granted. Falling in love with someone who is also your best friend is so special! I can't wait until you can meet him! :-)
~Bianca
Post a Comment